Friday, October 17, 2008

Beth's Trip to the Wilds

Hi Everyone!


This is Beth, and this is also my first time writing a blog post, so wish me luck!

There are one or two things my parents talked about being advantages of not going to Russia in September. One was soccer, and the other was I got to go to the WILDS. My class from School went to the Wilds in four different groups. (I don’t think the people at the WILDS would be very happy feeding,
teaching and providing Yurts for 140 kids or more at once) I went on the first group. In my Yurt (think big round tent, I believe it was from India, with lights, a fan, and a whole bunch of critters) were Laura, Sarah, and Kirsten. There were twelve people total in the yurt, and I’m not going to list them so I don’t accidentally forget anyone. I will tell you, Laura has
a really busy schedule (she goes to skating BEFORE school a few days a week and has other stuff after) so she goes to bed early. It was late when we went to our yurt, and she had brought snacks, so she told us if we all went straight to bed she would give us each a Ho-ho in the morning. That got everyone to go straight to bed! The teacher in the yurt, Mrs. McCormick, wished for Laura to be
there the rest of the days too. Everyone was really loud the other nights. (Mrs. McCormick is my math teacher; she doesn’t actually work at the Wilds.) We were in the Wolf yurt, and there was (for us at least) a mouse in the yurt (It’s name is Squeakers the second. A girl in the yurt
already had a mouse named Squeakers), two spiders outside the yurt (a daddy long legs named Papa, and another spider named Legs), and a moth named I think Peanut but I forget it’s name. Apparently another group had a bat in the same yurt! That was just around the “camp”.

We did many things at the Wilds. If you didn’t know, the Wilds is a conservation site in southern Ohio that used to be a strip mine. Now it is the home to many savannah creatures such as the bison and the giraffes and wild horses! We (of course) went on the
tour. But we did several other things too. For the next two things I’ll be talking about we were split into two different groups. First my group went canoeing. Laura was my partner and at the end we were zipping around the lake pretty quick. The other group split project was exploring the lake next to the Canoeing Lake. My group didn’t find that much stuff. Someone
caught a fish and a few tadpoles. I did somewhat fall in! About to my knees were soaked before I grabbed onto the rock I had been standing on and Laura helped me up. Then we all went back to the yurt and I changed. Our Groups got together and we went on a trail walk. We also learned about the different types of animals’ digestive systems. We did this by looking at their poop! We also went to the carnivore section. There we saw the cheetahs and the African Wild Dog. We also learned about the different types of teeth there. When we were leaving, the Dogs were being fed and we were able to go over and see them being fed! It was really cool.
Speaking of cool, at night, the Wilds are freezing! The food was ok; up at the Restaurant by the gift shop was the best. That is the Wilds for me.
(Side note: All pictures used in this post were ones I took with my camera, so you can see we got to see a LOT of animals. Mom wouldn't let me put them all up.)

No comments: