Tuesday, August 5, 2008

God only you could make this happen …

Note from the blogger-in-chief: The following is a stream of consciousness post from Lisa as she engaged in yet another round of the Great Paper Chase…

Great news today! Andy brought over the redone papers that we needed. (Thank you again Andy! If anyone is looking for a realtor in the Columbus area, I’ll give you his number.) He even found out which notary we have used in the past and used her, so I know the notary is good.

OH NO!!! One of the pages was skipped in the signing and notary process. Andy takes them back and runs out to get the missed pages notarized.

I call Mark to tell him I’m going to run downtown to get them certified and apostilled as soon as Andy brings them by. Andy gets them back to me about 3:30. Okay this is going to be a rush but I can do this, or can I.

It’s after 3:40 by the time I give Beth and Luke instructions and get out the door. I’ve got to hurry because both offices close at 5:00.

I’M OUT OF GAS in the van!!!! I go to get gas. It’s 4:03 before I’m on the road again. I SO want these papers done but there is no way I’ll make the Franklin County Court House and the Secretary of States office before 5:00. I keep asking myself "Why am I even wasting the gas today?"

It has taken me close to an hour to park downtown before, so I’m not optimistic. For some reason I keep heading downtown but with a prayer “God you’re the only way these are going to get done today.” I make it downtown in great time and get off the highway at 4:18. At least I have a chance of getting the certifications today if I can find a parking spot. I head down by the courthouse, and turn right, right in front of the courthouse to start circling the blocks to look for a spot to park. As I’m turning the corner a car is backing out four spaces from the corner. (4 spaces, I’ve never parked within 4 blocks of the courthouse before.) I get parked and there is still an hour on the parking meter, Thank you God.

I grab the papers and head for the security line. WHAT? there is no line!!! Walk right up, the guard is waiting there as I drop my purse on the x-ray belt hand the papers through the slot and walk through the metal detector. I’m in. Now up two floors to the Clerk of Courts office, turn the corner and an elevator is standing open and empty. Thank you God.

I’ll be in the amusement park-like maze of line in the Clerk of Courts office before five, so I’ll get the certifications today. What? The maze is open? And 3 clerks are sitting there with open windows. Thank you God this just doesn’t happen. Its now 4:32 and I’m leaving the courthouse with my certifications. Thank you God you just performed a miracle.

Am I actually going to make this? Normally I walk between the two buildings, 5 blocks north, 3 blocks east, and a ½ block north but I’d never make it. God you gave me one parking spot can you do it again? I get in the car and head up to the Secretary of State’s office. All the parking spots on the road I am on are listed ‘no parking 4pm to 6pm’. Basically that clears open an extra lane for rush hour but where am I going to park??? I pass the office I need and the first road I come to is one way left and I’m in the right lane. Oh well one more block. The next road I turn right onto. There in front of me, the first spot is sitting open. Thank you God!!! I get parked (this time I did have to feed the meter.)

I head down the street and head into the building. The guard remembers me from last week and doesn’t even ask for two forms of ID, he just hands me a visitor’s pass and I’m in. I’m going to make it?!?! Inside the office I walk right up to the counter and hand her my papers. I get the papers back all apostilled and ready for international travel. I turn in my ID and start walking to the car. I look down at my watch as I get to the car, 4:53. I still had time and I was done. I call Mark to tell him that I was heading to make copies. Thank you God, only you could have pulled this off!

No comments: